Sunday, August 3, 2008

Springtime for Hitler

Another hot day. Ready to test your Calsius skills? Today is Kagawa-ken, it was 35 degrees. Take a guess how much that is Fahrenheit-that's right. Over 85 degrees. Ah, hot, sticky goodness.

It's been a busy weekend. Today has been very chill... Mostly me sitting here at home, taking a feeble stab at Japanese cooking. Instant curry, hey! It's fun to not be able to read instructions on food-thank God for pictures! Course pictures can be just as confusing... I think I might have bought chips that taste like buttered bread. And getting my rice cooker to work has consisted of randomly pushing buttons and seeing what happens. With early evening setting in, I'm going to take another look around town and get some pictures, if I can. I'd have pictures for you all, but my darn card reader is putting up a fight. Far as I can tell, I've downloaded everything I need, but still my computer stubbornly refuses to recognize it. Which is a real shame, because I've got some wonderful pictures from the last few days. 

Friday was a lot more relaxing at school. One of my JTEs brought me some delicious lunch and salted rice balls, which were DELICIOUS. The music teacher also invited me to listen to the Brass Band Club, who has a competition on the 4th. They were doing a compilation of Broadway songs, and I made the mistake of singing along to "Springtime for Hitler." So, they asked me to sing the lyrics for them. For anyone who isn't familiar with "The Producers," it goes a little something like this....

"Springtime for Hitler and Germany,
Rhindeland's a fine land once more
Springtime for Hitler and Germany,
Watch out, Europe!
We're going on tour!"

Well my JTE was having some trouble translating, so I said," Oh, it's a comedy musical about Germany invading Europe!" She explains it to the students, and their faces just sort of freeze in shock and horror. Unfortunately, my Japanese is too weak to fully explain "satirical humor," so... poor kids. It was like I told them they were playing a song from "I Killed My Puppy With a Crowbar." 

Friday night a bunch of local JETs gathered a local eatery (and by local, I mean 15 minutes by train and 10 minutes by foot. Close enough.) I forgot how awkward it is being around new people. I haven't had to dance the Social Scene jig in a while, and I felt quite rusty. Constantly reminded yourself not to talk too much or be too perverted is quite exhausting, but everyone seems very nice, and the food wasn't so bizarre. Though I think they fed me chicken knuckles.... and Japanese mayonnaise.

Saturday we went to a barbecue in Tadotsu, and me and another new JET got to compare notes. I really miss everyone that I met in Tokyo-the JETs here have been incredibly nice and helpful, but there's something about sharing fears and excitements with other new people... for the other JETs, it's totally old-hat, and for us, it's AMAZING. I still find trains a thing of wonder. 

After the barbecue, we went to a festival in a nearby town, which was a whole lot of standing and water-throwing. Mostly men from the town carried this 80 meter straw dragon through the streets, and people threw water on it to wish for rain and good luck. I managed to avoid getting drenched... except for my pants. Those didn't avoid the onslaught. 

I haven't experienced culture shock just yet, I think. Unless shock involves extreme confusion and nerves. I'm missing people back home a lot, but I suppose I'm lucky... I get along pretty well no matter where you stick me. Of course, I'm not cut off from people just yet. We'll have to see how well I fare then. I just hope I can get a hold of someone, when and if that happens. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for a Gaijin registration card so I can get a phone, Internet, and bank account. Until then, I send this message out into the void.

Good night, sweet void. You've served me well this day. 

3 comments:

Blitz Squirrel said...

Hehe, I would easily find myself in your shoes. I just wish you could have taken pictures of the kids' faces. I bet it was hilarious. :-)

momndad said...

we miss you lots and lots doll and think of you every day. good luck with the cooking!

John said...

I'm sure everyone is in the same boat in regards to being thrown in with a million and one random strangers from all around the world. You are all in the same boat so naturally everyone will come together and be cool. Unless it is only a Fukushima thing...hehe.

Though I do find alcohol helps a lot in bonding. God bless のみほだい!