Thursday, January 29, 2009

Crazy English Sentences

It's an unproven fact that kids will learn when they're interested. Below, I've collected a few examples of the times when my students English has been absurdly good. 

  • "Yes We Can." 
  • The Obama craze hit Japan a little later than in America (as in, during the November election, I'd estimate only 35% of my students knew anything about President Obama beyond his name.) Suddenly, his slogan is popping up everywhere-everywhere! I hear it in the halls, inserted randomly into Japanese sentences. Students love exclaiming it to me across crowded classrooms. Today I even heard it on the train. Don't know where it's coming from, but I'll take what English I can get. 
  • "Do you have a boyfriend?"
  • Gosh do they love this one. Students who will not speak English to me otherwise will put out this perfectly pronounced and phrased sentence. 
  • "Fuzzy Wuzzy"
  • Today, my JTE finished class with about 10 unplanned minutes left, so she turned to me and said," All right, what should we do?" After "uhhing" for a minute or so, I pulled out my favorite tongue twister and called the class to a speech contest. Students delighted in "Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair, Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't very fuzzy was he?" even before my JTE explained the meaning in Japanese. Students willingly spoke in class, even came up after class to try their hand at it.
Just thought I'd share!  

No comments: