Tuesday, January 20, 2009

One of Those Rare Days I'm Glad Some Students Don't Get English

The flu, or “influenza” is starting to invade SoFF. Today, a whopping 15% of students were missing, most of them gone due to fever, coughing, etc.

If I haven’t mentioned before, the classrooms in my schools aren’t heated. The teacher’s room is (haHA!) but not the classrooms. The weather doesn’t SEEM to bad... outside, and wearing my jacket, I’d say it was similar to early spring in Wisconsin (the wind even smells like it.) Yet somehow the school itself is bitterly cold.

Anyway, the school nurse’s prescription for avoiding the flu is to wear a face mask, and!-open ALL the windows in between classes. Supposedly it’s to circulate fresh air into the room and get rid of germs, but I’m not sure as to its effectiveness. All I know is that it magically erases all the body heat that had just spent 50 minutes building in the room.

 

Today during cleaning time, the three stooges appeared-Above It Boy, Shortie, and the Side kick. They started impersonating me, pretty normal state of affairs.

It took me a few minutes, but after a while I realized that Sidekick kept asking what “creepy” meant. When I just shrugged and went back to sweeping, he tried a new tactic to find out.

“You are creepy!”

It took a split second before I replied,” Thank you!” cheerfully.

This left the Stooges utterly baffled, since I think they probably understood it to be some sort of insult. But hey, if years from now, they say it to some pretty gaijin they want to actually like them, and the girl throws a drink their face, I will have my sweet, sweet revenge for all of their English class antics.

 

1 comment:

Justin said...

It is proven!

... if there are no germs, it isn't possible to get sick no matter how cold you are. The cold simply lowers one's immune system, allowing the germs to attack. It's probably a better idea to open the windows to get rid of germy air, since going to be cold either way (for them).

LOL! Using Jedi mind tricks on high schoolers!