Wednesday, April 9, 2008

A Dose of Drugged Reality


Coming soon: a personal review of "The Sixties Unplugged: A Kaleidoscopic History of a Disorderly Decade." I read the Salon's review, and I'm absolutely tingling with anticipation. I disagree with the philosphy behind rivisionist history, but I've always fostered a deep hatred for the Hippies and the Drug Culture and the Sex Craze of that era. I recall my mom, quite poignantly, discussing how as a little girl she saw these "revolutionaries" protesting the war by throwing rocks at police.

Perhaps this explains our current youth's culture confusion. I admit that I look down on my generation for not protesting, not becoming politically active, and I think there is still some truth in that accusation. But what politically active generation, exactly, are we measuring ourselves against? The 60's counterculture, who failed to end the Vietnam War? Who introduced the concepts "free love" and feminism, concepts that resulted in widespread sexual disease and anti-male sexism?

Still, I haven't read the book yet. I shall have to suspend my judgment until then.

No comments: