Wednesday, April 23, 2008

DS Games Designed For Learning Japanese


Nintendo DS games that teach Japanese kanji and/or tango combine my two of my favorite things: technology and a stab at fluency in another language. I am saving up to buy a DS, hopefully within the next month, and am complying a list of DS games to buy.

When it comes to Japanese, these are some of the best possible games I've found so far:

漢字そのままDS楽引辞典 (English translation: "Easy DS Reading Dictionary for Kanji"): Like a handheld dictionary, switching between English-Japanese, Japanese-English. Allows you to draw the unknown kanji or known hiragana and will pop up the explination. The cons are it only stores 3 dictionaries, instead of an infinite number of electric dictionaries and e-books.

Mind Your Language: Virgin Play is supposedly coming out with language games targeted to 8-15 year olds teaching English, Spanish, German, French, and Japanese. Unfortunately, it's a Spanish site, and the Japanese game isn't set for release until Fall.

Kageyama Method - Dennou Hanpuku: Tadashii Kanji Kaki to Rikun: Actual kanji drawing game. A little more simple than Kentei Kounin: KanKen DS, this game goes through the kanji by educational level. Nothing like a DS game that teaches me like I'm six years old to make me feel like a Gaijin idiot.
Now, English games I'm very excited to buy:
-My Word Coach $20 @ Gamestop.com: This game will be great for me in Japan, helping me brush up on my vocabulary, especially before grad school.
-My French Coach $20 @ Gamestop.com: It's been quite a while since high school, but I figure why not brush up on a little French?
-Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga: As you shall see, I'm a sucker for the Lego series.
-Lego Batman: Release Date September 24th, 2008.

No comments: