Thursday, April 3, 2008

I'm Special; Just Like Everyone Else


I often hear people describing themselves as "intelligent/smart, quirky." Perhaps my dictionary is just outdated, but I was given to understand "quirky" meant to describe a peculiarity or an idiosyncracy. But if we all describe ourselves as quirky, doesn't that make quirky the norm? So when I describe myself as quirky, I am actually describing myself as extremely average.

The same goes for "intelligent." If we are all intelligent, the actual word "intelligent" becomes normal. I am no longer intelligent because everyone else is just as intelligent... I am now middle of the road smart. It seems as if we're actually competing with each other to be the top-most "quirky" and "intelligent" like it's some sort of race.

Well, let me drop out now. I will just go back to my profile and change every word resembling "quirky," "smart" or "unique" to "avergae," "average" and "awesome average!"

No comments: